Monday, April 6, 2009

USS Midway

While in San Diego, my dad took me to his favorite place, the USS Midway, a retired naval carrier, the longest-serving U.S. Navy aircraft carrier of the 20th century--a 47 year odyssey that spanned the end of WWII and the liberation of Kuwait in 1991!
Located downtown in San Diego at Navy Pier, the Midway provides a dynamic and enriching experience "from boiler to bridge." It is said that a visit to Midway instills a greater appreciation for courage, freedom, and service to country, and that was certainly the case for me. It was such an incredible, amazing thing to be able to walk through, and gain understanding of our military. The entire time I was there, I kept saying, oh I wish I could bring my students here, oh my gosh I can think of ten kids right now that would love this more than anything in the world, oh I wish we lived closer!

Unfortunately, we don't; however, check out this site:
www.midway.org/ and even better, if you have the chance to go to San Diego, visit this incredible piece of history!




Yep, that's me in the captain's chair!

No comments:

That which I am thankful for...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed